A spooky center-piece for any healthy eater’s Halloween banquet. We created this devilishly red, spicy and zesty flavoured brown basmati rice encased in a spiced, whole roasted pumpkin vessel. Get stuffed this Halloween… and here’s how:
What you’ll need:
- One medium sized pumpkin
- 100g brown basmati rice
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 beetroot (fresh)
- 1 heaped teaspoon The Gym Chef Winter Spice
- 2 heaped teaspoon The Gym Chef Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp of The Gym Chef Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 tsp of The Gym Chef Black Pepper Salt
- 1 pomegranate (whole)
- 1 lemon (whole)
- Rapeseed oil (cold press)
- Slice the top off your pumpkin,
- Scoop out the guts
- Smother with a little rapeseed oil,
- Rub generously with the Winter Spice aromatic seasoning,
- Add a sprinkling of salt if desired,
- Bake for 45 mins in the center of the oven at 190 degrees C.
- Wash and drain the rice,
- Boil for 20 mins at a medium/high heat.
Prep the veg:
- Peel and slice the onions,
- Peel and thinly slice the beetroot,
- Add a third of the beetroot to the rice to help naturally change it’s colour to a bloody red,
- Cut the pomegranate in half, hold over a bowl and bash repeatedly to release the juicy seeds.
Now for the flavour:
- Add two tablespoons of rapeseed oil to a wok,
- Fry the onions and add the beetroot and cook until soft (leaving some for a garnish later on),
- Add the seasoning and stir,
- Mix in the rice and stir well,
- Squeeze in the lemons,
- Turn the heat off and mix in half of the pomegranate seeds,
- Grab the pumpkin and stuff with the rice mix,
- Garnish as ghoulishly as possible with the remaining beetroot, and pomegranate.
Serve as a great devilish vegan dish or as a side with your choice of protein.
Optional - Fight off vampires with our Garlic and Herb seasoning.
Get 25% off our seasoning range now at:
*Offer valid on orders over £15, ends 5th November 2018.