These cajun chicken thighs are a tasty, easy and super healthy BBQ staple, perfect for summer evenings in the garden. If you have time to marinate them all day, then the spices really come alive. Finished on the BBQ for those lovely charred edges and served with a light seedy slaw, this meal is feel good all round.
Top level health statistics, per serving (two chicken thighs and a serving of slaw)
Calories - 239 | Carbs - 11g | Fat - 12g | Protein - 26g
Serves 3 (if having two thighs per person)
Marinated chicken thighs:
- 3 tsp The Gym Chef Cajun Seasoning
- 6 boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 6 tbsp low fat natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ of a red cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 carrots, ribboned or finely sliced into strips
- 3 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Chicken marinade: At least 1 hour | Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Add chicken thighs and the marinade ingredients to a freezer bag and combine throughly. Leave to marinate for at least one hour but ideally throughout the day.
- After you’ve left the marinade for as long as possible, heat the oven to 180ºC. Once up to temperature, place the chicken on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes. While the chicken is cooking, slice the cabbage, ribbon the carrot (try using a vegetable peeler for thin strips) and extract the seeds from the pomegranate. Combine with the white wine vinegar. Toast the seeds in a pan to get a lovely nutty flavour and leave to cool. Once cooled, add to the slaw.
- After 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a BBQ to finish. They should only need five to seven minutes either side and will begin charing at the edges. Check the thighs are cooked through thoroughly before eating.
- Serve the slaw and chicken together and sprinkle with any left over mint or pomegranate seeds.
Discover our Cajun seasoning:
All our seasoning blends are: