These vegetarian burgers are packed with spinach and seasoned with The Gym Chef’s Summer
BBQ seasoning. They are moist yet firm due to a bit of baking in the oven before hitting the BBQ.
Partnered with crispy kale, they are sure to impress.
Top level health statistics, per patty
Calories - 150 | Carbs - 14g | Fat - 8g | Protein - 5g
Food processor required for patty
- 2 tsp The Gym Chef Summer BBQ Seasoning
- 100g fresh spinach
- 1 onion, finely diced,
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Breadcrumbs from 2-3 slices of bread
- 1 medium egg
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- Salt and pepper
- Flour for dusting
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Onion chutney
- 4 bread rolls
- 100g of cavolo nero black kale, stalks removed
- Olive oil
- Sesame seeds
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Dice onions and garlic finely. Fry onions in a bit of olive oil until transparent. Add garlic and Summer BBQ seasoning, and heat the spices through. After a few minutes, set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 180ºC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add bread slices to a food processor and whizz until fine crumbs are created. Start with two slices, more can be added later if the mixture is too wet.
- Add spinach to the breadcrumbs and pulse to combine.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes. Pulse to combine.
- Add cooled onion and garlic, and egg. Pulse to combine. If the mixture is quite wet and patties seem hard to form by hand, add a little more bread and pulse to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Flour your hands and create four even patties. Place each one on the lined baking tray.
- Bake the four patties in the oven for ten minutes. This forms the shape and makes them easier to flip on the BBQ.
- While the patties are in the oven, cut the stalks out of the cavolo nero, leaving long strips of leaf. Rub the leaves with a thin layer of olive oil, making sure to massage into the cracks.
- Lay the leaves on a microwave safe plate lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and sesame seeds. Make sure they don’t overlap - you may need to do them in batches.
- Microwave on high for 1 minutes and 20 seconds on each side, or until crisp.
- When the kale is done and patties cooked, transfer patties to the BBQ to finish off. A few minutes either side should add the charred BBQ taste. They may need a spray of oil to prevent sticking.
- Prepare your burger; layer patty, avocado and onion chutney in a bun.
Discover our SUMMER BBQ seasoning:
All our seasoning blends are: